The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.Tomorrow boat owners who use Lake Mead and who have already paid their park fees and registrations will tow their boats down the Vegas strip to protest their suspended access to the lake. One supposes small protests will erupt all over the country but if organizers are successful most of the fun will be in Washington starting with a "million veteran march" to protest the closing of the veteran memorials scheduled for October 13. Here is the Facebook link.
Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.
The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.
"I had to go to town today and buy Ralph undershirts and jeans because I forgot his pants," Joyce Spencer told Action News.
The Stewart's Point home sits on federal land, so even though the Spencers own their cabin outright, they're not allowed in until the government reopens.
Park officials said property owners can visit only to retrieve belongings; they sent Action News a statement which reads in part, "Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen."
Wow you say. I just getting started. On October 11, 12, and 13 Truckers Ride for the Constitution is promising 3 days of DC traffic jams. Here are their plans.
Drivers that are working at least fly a flag and RIDE in Convoy formation while on the interstate. There will be Local TV from coast to coast filming this solidarity RIDE and event. It is up to the Truckers Of America to wake up the people as to the harsh regulations and UN-Constitutionals laws against our commerce and its people. We are brothers and sisters of the ROAD!2 Million Bikers Ride to DC has already arrived and is escorting veterans to the World War II Memorial. It plans to stay until veterans have open access to all veteran memorials including the Vietnam Memorial and the Iwo Jima Memorial.
All truckers in this RIDE are directed to Earl Conlon, he is in charge, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Washington DC Capital on Constitution St. Show up Friday morning before the convoy gets there with signs concerning our constitution or in support of the RIDE, bring ole glory flags and show your patriotism. If some want to bring the 10 commandments to remind others of God’s Laws feel free to do so.
3. All Truckers, motorcycles, cars, pickup trucks tractors, RV’s that want to participate in this RIDE meet at the All American Truck Plaza off I-95 exit 98 across from amusement park. Most will show up the 10th. The event will start at 7:00 am October 11th.
4. Please dress your RIDE up with Constitutional related signs and or ole glory flags. Some people want to quote the 10 commandment and WE welcome Do what ever the spirit moves you to do.
5. People with Ham radios and Hand Held CB’s will be needed for communication. Harrisburg Pennsylvania Truckers for their State will meet at The Wilco Truck Stop off I-81 exit 78.
6. All Bikers are directed to Belinda Bee.
7. If you would like to participate in the Overpasses to cheer on our Constitutional Riders or wave your Impeach Obama signs or any other signs please join your State group to get the information where they will be. The group will say closed but join because most will say that, after joining the page will open to you. http://overpassesforamerica.com/?page_id=39
8. If you would like to rally to your nearest Rest Area Brett Backman with The Modern American Revolution said he would work the Rest Areas and the Overpasses in this event. If you want to start a Rally in your area at a Rest Area please let us know and we will post it. On Facebook: Modern Revolution
9. Fred’s Restaurant in Wheelersburg, Ohio will be supporting the Truckers Ride for the Constitution. Truckers traveling to D.C. Oct. 11,12,and 13 th can stop by and receive a Free Personal Pan Pizza, chips and a 20 oz. drink. Plz share so we can get the word out. God Bless America!
This could get interesting!
Update: Ride for the Constitution has had its Twitter account shut down. Here is a link to their website which has an online forum if you would like to read more or express an opinion.