Click to see

Click to see
Obama countdown

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On Black people, White people and Declarations of racism

  So, you, NAACP, you have to admit you really don't represent conservative people, regardless of color.  You only represent liberal people. You might as well admit it. You aren't the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People anymore. You're the National Association for the Regression of Colored People.
  So, yo, what are you doin'? What is this declaring the tea party as racists? You've seen the figures; you've seen that 25% of the tea party people are minorities. You've seen that that's not far off from the national average of minorities. Even if it were not, don't we have a right to express opinions? You, of all people, a BLACK PEOPLE ORGANIZATION, should know what it's like to stand up for what you believe, regardless of race.
  But maybe you don't 
  Why are you doing this? Do you WANT to set back "race relations" in the 21st century? Is that your goal? Or is it only that you want to gain political advantage by accusing tea partiers as being racists. You sort of remind me of that scene from the movie Witches, where the witches transform the little boy into a mouse, because they hate children and they can't stand the smell of them. Watch this scene and imagine "tea partier" instead of "child."
  You are trying to turn us into rats because of your endless, repetitive, slanderous accusations that we are racists.
  I wish you wouldn't do this; it hurts me. I mean, really hurts me. I watched the civil rights marches in the 50s and 60s and sometimes, because I'm white, sometimes I really didn't understand the angst.
  I do now. I know that black people are stopped in their cars more often than white people. I know that, when you're white, sometimes you have an advantage. 
  I also know that, when you're black, you often have more of an advantage, particularly with regard to scholarships and charges of racism. I mean, who believes you when you're white and you suspect the DoJ of racism? How can that be possible when whites have all the....power? Wait...
  Oh, there was that time I walked into the restaurant in Nashville and everyone was Black in the restaurant and they all turned to look at me and my lily white, however ethnic family. It was awkward, I admit. I wasn't accustomed to being seen as as unusual, or out of place. It was a rude reminder that there really are differences regarding races. And it was a good reminder for me that I don't know everything and that it's disconcerting to be a minority.
  But this whole "tea party is racist" thing. It really bugs me. I've been to many rallies, and nobody there is racist. All we're concerned about is the size of the government, the godawful debt you are wracking up for our children, the intrusions into our private lives, the size of taxes, the ignorance of the Constitution....well, okay, it's a lot of things. 
  But all of them have nothing to do with race.
  In fact, I was quite proud when we elected a Black president. I didn't vote for him but I remember chills up my spine when I heard him talking about looking beyond race, seeing us all as equal. 
  I remember thinking, well, okay, maybe this can work. Maybe, just maybe, this man can unite us in focusing on doing what's best for this magnificent country.
  But what happened? 
  Now it seems to me he became as racist as any of the nasty white people I knew when I was younger. In fact, he reminds me more of....well, I don't want to say. It hurts me too much. I don't like the bullying. I don't like the name calling, I don't like the targeting of specific citizens. It's beneath the office of the president. 
  Do you have any idea what I mean? Cuz you sure don't look like you do. Your people keep going on television, screaming about the past and Bush, whining about misperceptions, accusing everyone else of being....something....racist or something....
  Instead, you look like you are supporting the realm of Marie Antoinette. You know, the whole "Let 'em eat cake" thingie.
   You seem disengaged, fragmented from those of us who want to work, who want to be equal with one another, who want the Gulf cleaned up.
  And what's up with that whole Gulf thing? 
  Why do you party so much? Don't you care about those birds, drenched in oil? Don't you care about the muck enveloping the marshlands? I understand you cannot suck out the oil with a straw (duh....no one thought that and I never expected you to). I just want you to go down there and yell at someone. 
  Put someone local in charge of every state, someone who CARES about what's happening, like that Billy guy,  and then SUSPEND all the regulations.
  REGULATIONS only strangle situations. They don't help. 
  How can you be so distant when WE, the white people, think that you only care about the votes of Black people? Why don't you release DoJ employees to talk about this, just to clear the air? Why won't you allow the states to clear their rolls of dead voters and felons? Why? This is very upsetting to those of us who just want to work, pay our taxes, help others, and vote, thinking that most people aren't cheating, that a group you commend isn't trying to undermine the honest votes of citizens who care about democracy.
  Well, okay, I'm approaching whining myself now and I don't like it. I don't want to become like... your people.
  I just want this great country to survive.
  I want people to get back to work.
  I want your people to stop calling everyone racist just because things aren't going your way. Let it go. Be productive; work on unity, not division.
  And please, please, let go of the "tea partiers are racist" thing, even though you may think it gives you an advantage politically.
  My niece is going to think, just because I'm a tea partier, I don't love her. And so is my sister in law. 
  And that's not true. I don't love them just because they're Black, but because they are good, sweet human beings. Human beings I care about.
  Would you know anything about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment