Click to see

Click to see
Obama countdown

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

NSC Linked To Fast and Furious

In yesterday's post we stated that the IRS, the DEA, and ICE were all "full partners" in operation Fast and Furious. Today we can add evidence that knowledge of this case, if not complicity, extends to the National Security Council. BATF special agent in charge William Newell was questioned about an email he sent to Kevin O'Reilly Director of North American Affairs of the National Security Council that began with "you didn't get it from me" Rep. Raul Labrador and William Newell had this exchange;


LABRADOR: Special Agent Newell, do you know who Kevin O'Reilly is?


NEWELL: Yes, Sir.


LABRADOR: What's the nature of your relationship with him?


NEWELL: I've known Kevin for ‑ I'd say probably 10‑12 years?


LABRADOR: How often do you communicate with him?


NEWELL: Oh, I haven't communicated with him in a while but probably three or four times a year or something like that. Or maybe ‑ maybe more depending on him reaching out to me.


LABRADOR: Isn't it a little bit unusual for a special agent in charge of an ATF field division to have direct email contact with the national security staff at the White House?


NEWELL: He's ‑ he's a friend of mine.


LABRADOR: How many times did you talk to him about this case?


NEWELL: The specifics of this case? I don't think I ‑‑ I mean ‑‑ I don't think I had one specific conversation with him about the specifics of this case.


LABRADOR: OK. Who ...


ISSA (?): Would the gentleman allow me to help him a little? Not that you need it, but could you take the word specific out and ‑ and answer the general ‑‑ did you talk to him about this case?


NEWELL: I might have talked to him about this case. Yes, Sir.


ISSA(?): Do you know when that was?


NEWELL: It was probably ‑‑ I ‑‑ as I recall I think it was during the summer ‑‑ it might have been the summer or early fall of 2010.


Later the line was picked up by Rep. Trey Gowdy;


GOWDY: Let me ask you this. When you begin a sentence, "You didn't get this from me..." what does that mean to you?


NEWELL: Just means that didn't get it from me.


GOWDY: Well, but that's kind of a pleonasm, isn't it, because you are getting it from them? So it's a ‑‑ what do you mean by that, "You didn't get this from me..."? I'm referring to your e‑mail to Mr. O'Reilly


NEWELL: Well, obviously Mr. O'Reilly (ph) was a friend of mine and it's ‑‑ it's ‑‑ I shouldn't have been sending him that, obviously, I recognize that, it being a friend.


GOWDY: But what do you mean, "You didn't get this from me..."? Does that mean you should not have been talking to him about it?


NEWELL: Not that I shouldn't have been talking about. He's a friend of mine. He asked for information and I provided it to him.


GOWDY: Well, then, why wasn't it appropriate for you to give it to him? Why would you preface it by saying, "You didn't get this from me..."? Was it an improper communication?


NEWELL: No, it wasn't an improper communication.


GOWDY: Well, then, why would you preface it by that?


NEWELL: It's ‑‑ he's been a friend of mine for a long time and he asked me for information. So I gave him information that ‑‑ it's probably an improper use of the term or phrase.



As more information becomes available you will find it on this blog.

<>

No comments:

Post a Comment