Click to see

Click to see
Obama countdown

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Post office health care

Ugh. One time at the Perrysburg post office, I asked the postal worker to show me how to use the scale in the lobby so I wouldn't have to go through the line every time, which stretched out the door (as usual). He hemmed and hawed charmingly until I got absolutely sick of it and said, with just a little meanness, "No, seriously, why doesn't that scale work?" He said, Well, it's like this. If I show you that, then my job goes away."

"I mean, if you think about it . . .", Obama said, halting warily as if he realized he was about to make a terrible mistake.

"If you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right?" he said, half-joking yet completely serious. "It's the Post Office that's always having problems."

Exactly.

Obama promised a new health-care program every bit as inept as the Postal Service.

America's medical future will be long lines, lost mail and surly federal employees.

In this unscripted instant, Obama laid out precisely why -- outside the high-school gym -- there were hundreds of seething protesters, barred from expressing their vitriolic opposition to the directly to the president.

They held aloft signs with quotes from Thomas Jefferson and James Madison about the dangers of a government too large to be accountable to the people any longer.

Said one sign held by a young mother: "Keep your change and I'll keep my freedom."

No comments:

Post a Comment