Click to see

Click to see
Obama countdown

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Read this

How utterly, utterly moving. H/T European Tea Party Movement. Go here and read this. This is why we do this:

All Animals Are Equal, But Some Are More Equal Than Others
 Before the Wall fell, in communist Poland there was a resistance movement. Part of the resistance was a secret library. The most secret and precious book of the library was hidden in a separate location, wrapped in purple velvet and sealed in plastic. The Resistance felt that if the library was discovered it was most important that this book above all others be preserved since it expressed most clearly the falsity and monstrousness of the ruling ideology.
To see this book I was taken by a circuitous route to the hiding place. There I was met by the librarian and one other member of the Resistance in addition to my guide. With my eyes closed I was seated and then waited while the book was taken from its hiding place. Then they let me open my eyes so that I could see it.  
The librarian handled the book with reverence. Everyone was silent. The plastic seal was undone, the purple velvet unfolded and the book was revealed. It was George Orwell's Animal farm. It was an edition of one with original hand-painted illustrations by a Polish artist plus samizdat printed pages of text.

I opened it and turned the pages looking at the beautiful illustrations. At one page I read aloud, but quietly, the caption of one of the illustrations: "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." They nodded, they understood of course. They lived it every day. [SNIP]

No comments:

Post a Comment